Allsvenskan (The All-Swedish, also known as Fotbollsallsvenskan) is a Swedish professional league for association football clubs. At the top of the Swedish football league system, it is the country's primary football competition.
Contested by 16 clubs, it operates on a system of promotion and relegation with Superettan. Seasons run from April to October, with teams playing 30 matches each, totalling 240 matches in the season. The league was created in 1924. Before that, the top league in Sweden was called Svenska Serien.
The winner is awarded Lennart Johanssons Pokal. It is ranked 28th in the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) coefficients of leagues based on performances in European competitions over the last five years, ahead of Slovakia SuperLiga and below Belarus Premier League.
The current champions are Helsingborgs IF, who won the title in the 2011 season.
Nyheter från vår systersida sillyseason.com!
- Sean Dyche: Barnes tackle was an unavoidable accidental
- Gundogan staying put at Dortmund
- Vincent Kompany eyes Manchester City retirement
- 'We are better without Suarez', says Allen
- Chelsea to appeal Matic ban
- 'Deal is close', says Sterling
- Manchester United nearing deal for Ex City defender Stefan Savic
- Falcao joining Manchester United was the wrong decision- says Monaco boss
- DANILO: Liverpool joined by Manchester United in transfer battle for defender
- Premier League target Mauro Icardi pens new deal with Inter Milan