Allsvenskan (The All-Swedish, also known as Fotbollsallsvenskan) is a Swedish professional league for association football clubs. At the top of the Swedish football league system, it is the country's primary football competition.
Contested by 16 clubs, it operates on a system of promotion and relegation with Superettan. Seasons run from April to October, with teams playing 30 matches each, totalling 240 matches in the season. The league was created in 1924. Before that, the top league in Sweden was called Svenska Serien.
The winner is awarded Lennart Johanssons Pokal. It is ranked 28th in the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) coefficients of leagues based on performances in European competitions over the last five years, ahead of Slovakia SuperLiga and below Belarus Premier League.
The current champions are Helsingborgs IF, who won the title in the 2011 season.
Nyheter från vår systersida sillyseason.com!
- John Terry reveals why he was given extension
- Martin Skrtel: 'I don't feel guilty for stamp'
- Liverpool miles apart with Raheem Sterling
- Manchester United will reject Chris Smalling offers
- Arsenal ready to try Marco Reus again
- Manchester United showing interest in Theo Walcott
- Daniel Sturridges faces another month out
- Terry pens new one year deal
- Chelsea chase Lazio ace
- Chelsea eye surprise Rob Green deal
- Chelsea eye Valencia's £25 million playmaker
- Wojciech Szczesny: Jerzy Dudek urges compatriot to leave Arsenal
- Filipe Luis responds to exit rumours
- Theo Walcott responds to contract reports
- Liverpool showing interest in Neil Taylor
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants out of Southampton
- 'I could still join the Premier League', admits Khedira
- 'Jose Mourinho was right to sell Mata and Luiz', says Terry
- Kovacic agent dismisses Arsenal link
- PSG ready to fight for Pogba